July 7, 2018
Next General Membership Meeting-July 26 at 7:30 p.m.
The Irish Center is open for Business All Summer!
Dear Members of the Irish Center:
I am writing on behalf of the Board to update you on the current state of the Irish Center. We believe that there is a great deal for us to be thankful for given the foresight of our founders who opened our doors in 1975 and created a foundation of great value that we believe will serve us well into the future. Today, as we approach our fifth decade of operations, this Board is excited and humbled to be working with you and for you on plans for the long-term preservation and enhancement of our cultural center.
We’ve also become extremely aware that it’s not easy to turn a large ship on a dime into a new direction recognizing the changing times and demographics of today’s local Irish community. I can assure you, however, that we are committed to succeeding for you and the many generations to come who will celebrate the best of Irish culture right here at the United Irish Cultural Center.
While we are making great progress in reorganizing the Center to grow and flourish, numerous challenges regarding the transition from our old form of organization to our new non-profit, require that transitional reorganizational measures be implemented over the next few months. This means, as a practical matter, that we are going to be undertaking some internal restructuring of both our finances and our operational workflow, all of which is intended to move the Center further along to a path of growth and vibrancy. During this time of transition, we strongly encourage you to support the Center by taking advantage of our excellent facility, enjoying our restaurant and bar, using the Center for your events and meetings, and become involved as we enter a new era in the life of this wonderful institution. We will be open all summer and our staff would love to welcome you for lunch, dinner, or even just a well-drawn pint.
The really good news first!
- The building, library and our cash accounts are now vested in our Non-Profit, 501c3 Tax exempt organization, the United Irish Cultural Center. The Building has an estimated value of $8.5 million and our cash position in the UICC is currently almost $350,000. (June 30, 2018
- We have an available line of credit of $1,500,00 at the Prime Lending Rate as quoted daily in the Wall Street Journal. (A nominal amount of $40,000 is outstanding that covered closing costs for the line, including Title Insurance and lender fees).
- Donations to the Center to support and maintain our building, library and cultural activities are fully tax deductible.
- The Irish Center is open for business all summer in the Restaurant, Bar and for Banquets & Events. There was discussion of a partial summer closure for replacement of our sewer line, but this is being delayed for up to a year for better planning and cash flow management during such a closure.
- We have many planned events this summer in the bar and restaurant, as well as barbecues in a beer garden setting we will create in the back of the building. Click here for the summer Events Calendar!
- We have dates available for your summer, fall events, and holiday parties and special packages to make them more successful and affordable. Click here for more information.
How Can Members Help?
- Please get Involved! Join a Committee and let your voice be heard. Click here to access information about available Board and Committee positions or reach out directly to me, Jo Coffey or Caite O’Shea.
- Please use the Bar and Restaurant and recommend the Center for events. Click here for the Summer Events Calendar!
- Buy a Restaurant Gift Card (This offer is available in July Only) at a 10% discount that you can use anytime (No expiration) which adds cash to our coffers now. For more information, call the Center at 415-661-2700.
- Suggestions? We want to hear from you. Click here to offer your input.
Key Dates to Remember:
General Member Meeting: July 26th at 7:30 p.m.
General Membership & Board Nominations Meeting: September 27th at 7:30 p.m.
General Membership & Elections to the Board Meeting: October 25th at 7:30 p.m.
Links to More Information:
Restaurant and Bar Hours: https://irishcentersf.org/restaurant/
President, Board of Directors