Before we leave July in thoughts, it is important to offer another round of sincere thanks to those from the UICC and the United Irish Societies who sponsored a very successful fundraiser for those J-1 victims of the Berkeley tragedy and their families. Well done!
Welcome to August. The Boys of Summer” (also known as the SF Giants) provide summer entertainment for those of us who are baseball fans. Why not come out to the ballpark on Irish Heritage Night (Tuesday, August 11th) to enjoy a great experience in a beautiful venue. Tickets are available from the Irish Immigration and Pastoral Center (IIPC) at (415) 752-6006.
Your UICC will NOT be closed for the usual 10 days during the month of August this year. Patronize your Center with some of the activities planned:
- On Friday, August 14th the great Finbar Furey will provide us with a “once-in-a-lifetime” show in the St. Patrick’s Room. Tickets can be purchased online at https://sfirishcenter.vbotickets.com/events. The price is $50 and $15 for children. See all of you there!
- Thursday, August 20th will be “Ladies’ Night” in the Restaurant. Come in at 7 and enjoy dinner and a bit of a show as well! Gentlemen are more than welcome, but we’ll be honoring the ladies with fun and surprises! I will act as your hostess for the evening. Call Mary in the office (415) 661-2700 to make your reservations for this “memorable” event!
- Friday, August 21st will be a very special art show. Olivia Browne and Caitie O’Shea have teamed up to bring the work of some very interesting Irish artists to the Center for your enjoyment. A first!
- Sunday, August 23rd is the Robert Emmet Remembrance Day at the Band Concourse in Golden Gate Park. The United Irish Societies sponsors this annual event for all!
- Tuesday, August 25th will see Cairde Café back in the restaurant from 10-12:30 pm. Come and relax, have some tea/coffee and Irish bread and enjoy some great activities. Donation is $5. This wonderful event (held monthly) is sponsored by the IIPC Active Retirement Group.
Save the dates for important events in September that are heralded in our “Events” calendar elsewhere in the Bulletin. We are in the process of creating a “UICC Restaurant Campaign” to get more of you eating the fine food and enjoying the atmosphere in the UICC restaurant. Plan on “eating out” at the UICC soon!
In Unity and Good Health,
Judith M. Kell, President