Dear UICC Members
I have been racking my brain for the Month of May Bulletin…and what to say. I sat my husband down and told him what I was trying to say and his response very matter of fact, “Well Anne, just say it,” and so I will.
It’s the middle of April and so much has taken place for the last 100 days with still so much more to do. We have hired new part time staff to support our cultural mission and event venue program. “Céad Míle Fáilte” Lisa Michelis and Diana Zogaric.
I would like to remind you of who the board members are. I mention all their names to say THANK YOU and to recognize the hours, the time and the energy that everyone of these board members dedicate to our CENTER. There are many many moving parts to focus on during our transitional period and lots of work to be done. THANK YOU Michael Barnacle, Mike Bowler, Josephine Brogan, Shannon Durkan, Brian Gaffney, Patty Hayes, Jim McFadden, Tom McKeon, Rebecca Moran, Peggy Nevin, Maggie Overbay, Liam Reidy, Patrick Shannon Sr. and Patrick Shannon Jr.
By the time this bulletin goes out, the UICC Leo T. Walsh Scholarship Program Committee will have selected the 2019 finalists. This successful program celebrates its 26th year, growing leaps and bounds since its inception in 1994. A big THANK YOU to the dedicated scholarship committee. More news about the May 1st awards presentation in the June bulletin.
If you find yourself with extra time on your hands, we have many opportunities to volunteer. Please email the center at https://irishcentersf.org/contact/#email. Also during our events, we always need volunteers to help- it’s a way for you to give back to YOUR CENTER.
Speaking of volunteers: A BIG THANK YOU to Mark and Molly Burke for organizing and supporting the Frank O’Connor guest appearance. It was a brilliant night and we could not have done it without the following volunteers. Michael Barnacle- Mike Bowler- Josephine Brogan- Lynn Burkart- Anne Cassidy Carew- Shannon Durkan- Suzy Hart- Paul Haettenschwiller- Patty Hayes-Che Heron- Morgan Kulla- Marilyn Lara- Thomas McKeon- Kathleen McKeon- Mike McKeon- Donagh McKeown-Peggy Nevin- Liam Reidy- Carmelle Reiser- David Reiser
- The audit is in full swing. As soon as we have an idea as to when it will be completed, we will set a date for our Members meeting.
- We have a team of people that have been working on finalizing the details to our event venue rental program.
- We have the cultural committee planning events to support our Cultural programming. Last Saturday, there was an amazing exhibit sponsored by Irish Marvels and the UICC History Committee -The Day Before and The Day After April 18th, 1906, earthquake photos were captured by photographer and police, Charles Fennell.
- Now that we are a non profit, we are speaking to all vendors about the non profits status benefits and discounts so that we can put the money back into supporting our cultural CENTER.
- Thank you to Micheal Bowler, Martin Falvey and John Manning our wonderful Building team as they continue to support our UICC. Thank you to Steve Cloherty of the electrician’s union and also to Century Electric for all the work that has been done at the UICC.
It’s time to start talking about our future. I could write about the future of the Center and take up the 8 pages in this bulletin but I turn to our members for sentiment and feedback. It excites me that we have an opportunity to revitalize the “Accomplished Dream “ by celebrating and promoting Irish history and culture while expanding cross-cultural partnerships. Honoring the work of the Irish and their impact on on San Francisco history. Expanding and maintaining cultural programs and activities to connect, promote, foster, and preserve the legacy and traditional values of Ireland in literature, art, music, folklore, language, drama, dancing and sports AND we have a 20,000 square foot building to do all of this in.
See Newsletter for more details
Anne Cassidy Carew, President